Chinese Confinement Food Essentials for Mothers
After nine months of gestation in the womb and the delivery of the baby, the mother’s body is completely exhausted. The body is now weak and requires replenishment of nutrients. In other words, t is vital that the mother follows a balanced diet of protein, vitamins, minerals, fats and carbohydrates. However, in the next three months, it takes in plenty of fluids everyday.
Above all, mothers should avoid eating “cooling” foods; for instance, health problems may come later in life. Furthermore, diets should be planned carefully as the newborn continues to resolve nutrients from the mother through breast milk; similarly, consume foods that will restore her blood circulation.
This is to say that the recommended food are aimed at alleviating “wind”, warming the body, improving blood circulation, expelling toxins from the blood, promoting contraction of the uterus; likewise boosting milk production, strengthening joints and ligaments, repairing and revitalizing the mother’s body.
To sum it up, below is a list of recommended ingredients and elements essential that are used in post-natal diet, categorized by their main properties and benefits. For example, old ginger, black vinegar, sesame oil and wine are the four main stars of confinement food.
For alleviating “wind”:
- Old ginger frequently drives out “wind”,subsequently with “cooling” food as it wards off the “cooling” elements.
- Black vinegar is highly recommended for breast feeding mothers; relieves a windy abdomen and cleanses the womb of residual blood. By using this, it serves as a high calcium food as it leaches calcium from bones, hence
For cleansing blood:
- Abalone is rich in protein and vitamin E; by using this, it will strengthen the lungs and kidney and drain the lymph system of impurities.
- Black fungus (hei mu er) is rich in iron, and used for cleansing arteries and expelling stale blood from body.
For warming body and improving blood circulation:
- Angelica (dang gui) is rich in calcium and helps improves blood circulation; to nourish the female organs, alleviate menstrual pain and prevent hemorrhage.
- Black bean is rich in antioxidants and iron.
- Chinese rice wine promotes blood circulation and helps invigorate major organs, and to circulate nutrients through out the body. The wine evaporates during cooking.
- Dried longan improves blood circulation, heart efficiency and reduces stress and tension.
- Liver helps to build blood, but too much of it may cause milk glands to dry up.
- Red-rooted sage (dang shen) maintains a healthy level of iron in the body.
- Sesame oil promotes blood circulation and is a “heaty” ingredient.
For boosting energy, vigor, nourishment:
- Chestnut is rich in phosphorous, selenium and calcium; to invigorate vital energy and resolve fatigue depression and irritability.
- Chicken contains amino acid tryptophan, which helps to boost the moods, and vitamins to boost energy levels.
- Egg nourishes the body, improves the “chi” system and complexion.
- Polygomum (he shou wu) improves blood circulation, strengthens the kidney and liver, prevents hair-loss and graying hair.
- Red dates are rich in iron; to improve energy and calm the mind.
For strengthening kidney and lumbar (lower back region – backaches after delivery):
- Eucommia bark (du zhong) is to promote blood circulation; by using this, it will strengthen the kidney, sinews and bines.
- Chinese yam (wai san) aids digestion; to regulate sugar level and control the inflammation of the uterus.
For strengthening joints and ligament:
- Fish maw is good for strengthening limbs and joints.
- Kale (Chinese broccoli) is an excellent source of calcium and vitamin A, and is good for improving joints and lymph.
For boosting milk production:
Fish, like the dory, is an excellent source of protein and Omega-3 fats. This helps increase milk production and the fats that are vital for infant’s brain growth and development. In addition, Carp and Tetrapanax (Tung Choe) also increase the milk flow.
In conclusions, the choices and array of confinement food are by no means restricted to those mentioned above. iHost follows strict quality control and preparation standards that ensures every meal has the right ingredients prepared by us; after that, the best results will yield for mothers during the confinement period.
For nourishing, healthy confinement meals delivered lovingly to you, check out the delights via www.nouriche.sg today.
Like follow us on our social media at:
You deserve the best in your confinement!